STS 316 - SUNY Morrisville College
Professor Kurt Reymers
Cyberculture Review Paper Assignments
Four papers will be due during the semester, each one examining a different topical section of the course. The papers will be 600-800 words (2-3 pages) and will critically review the required reading material and any material provided in notes or done from suggested readings or comment/blog posts on the Blackboard site (or found via individual initiative).
Review papers will be due on the Tuesday class meeting following the end of the section (due dates follow). The papers must be titled, typed, double-spaced, and have 1” margins.
Submission: the papers should be saved in PDF format and sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the due date.
The form should
be a standard critical review essay. In the essay you should:
- Identify the specific thesis which you are arguing -- this should relate to a topic/issue common to all of the resources being reviewed;
- Briefly review the literature you have read;
- Critically analyze the literature and add your own response;
- Conclude with a description of how the cyber-issue at hand connects to the “real world,” particularly in relation to the social issue to which it connects.
- See this site for more info on critical essays
|Section / Date||Section Concept||Paper Due Date|
Introduction: History and Culture of Cyberspace
- What organization(s)
were responsible for the developing and building the first computer network
technology? (see Castells reading)
Self, Identity, Privacy
- What is Second Life? To what city at what time does Meadows compare
it? (see I, Avatar)
Online Community and Cyberethnography
- In what
ways are online communities the same as and different from face-to-face
communities? (see Rheingold reading)
Write a review paper for one of the four topics: a, b, c, or d.
and Online Governance
(b) Economies Online
(c) Religion Online
(d) Education Online
(a) Mar 30
(b) Apr 13
(c) Apr 20
(d) Apr 27
<<< Back to main page