ANTH 101 - Morrisville State College
Professor Kurt Reymers
To gain extra points on your reserach assignment grade, you can revise your paper. Your revision must:
- include changes to the paper based on the weak areas identifiedin the rubric;
- be accompanied by the original graded paper (I will NOT grade a revision without the paper copy to compare);
- be sent by email in PDF format with the file name beginning with your last name.
- REVISIONS ARE DUE WITHIN ONE WEEK OF YOUR ORIGINAL ASSIGNMENT BEING RETURNED TO YOU.
4 points - Step 1: summary of chapter reading (desriptive? covers main theme?)
4 points - Step 2: research source quality (scholarly? from library?)
4 points - Step 3: research source compare/contrast (descriptive? comparison evident?)
4 points - Step 4: in-text and reference page citations correct?
4 points - Step 5: guidelines followed? grammar edited?
20 points possible
Cultural Anthropology Research Paper:
Instructions and RubricBe sure to follow instructions carefully!
DUE In Class on Thursday April 12.
RESEARCH SOURCE: Conformity and Conflict 14e; choose ONLY ONE of the following chapters to report on:
4 (Jamaica) 10 (Alaska) 12 (Paraguay) 15 (Bolivia) 16 (Malawi) 18 (India) 19 (Tibet) 20 (China) 28 (North India) 32 (Japan) 33 (Nepal) 34 (Sudan)
Then, do independent research on the same culture. See the assignment instructions for full details. Here are some ideas about how to start your library search:
You should use the college library website – http://library.morrisville.edu – to further research the culture that you have chosen to read about in the provided Conformity and Conflict online book. Here are some strategies for using the library site:
1. Search for terms related to the culture in the main box that comes up when you go the page above. For example, if you choose Chapter 4, “Nice Girls Don’t Talk to Rastas,” an article about Jamaican and Rastafarian culture, you could type the following in to narrow down anthropological articles and books about those topics into the search box: rastafarian jamaica anthropology . See what comes up and choose articles that are from scholarly anthropological journal sources and related to your original Conformity and Conflict article.
2. Get a more refined search by clicking "Advanced Search” below and to the right of the main search box at the library website. Select the discipline “Anthropology” and try several terms that relate to the culture and issue that the Conformity and Conflict article is about.
3. You can also search for articles and books in the library about the culture in question. From the main library webpage, click the “Articles” link, then "Find Articles by Database Title," and then select a database – I recommend “Academic Search Complete” for a comprehensive search. For books and media, click the “Books & Media” link and see what resources the library has right on campus for you to use.
4. Please strive for accuracy and be aware of your own ethnocentricity as you write. Do solid research. Note, I am very familiar with this book: I was one of the reviewers of the book before publication (see my name on Preface page xv, or PDF page 16).
Here, again, are the assignment instructions in full detail. Please print this page for your reference as you work on this assignment.
WARNING! Do not leave this assignment to the night before it is due! You will regret that decision! GET TO WORK NOW!