Online Media ANTH4
PBS NOVA's"Becoming Human, Part III: Last Human Standing" (YouTube, ~62 min, 2014)
Take notes during the video and answer these questions while you watch:
1. What is significant about the cave burial site in which Homo heidelbergensis was discovered?
2. Who is the "Boy from Scladina" and what does his story reveal to us about the behavior of Neanderthals about 100,000 years ago?
3. What is the "bottleneck effect" (in relation to the DNA structure of modern humans)?
4. What is the evidence of small groups of humans living on the coast of Africa 76,000 years ago?
5. According to the DNA evidence presented by the Max Planck Institute in Germany, did ancient Homo sapiens and Neanderthals interbreed?
6. Why did Neanderthals become extinct, and why did we Homo sapiens survive?
E-mail your completed assignment:
DO NOT send as an attachment, please.
Due on or before Friday Sept 20 at 5pm sharp
(Note: for regular correspondence, do not use
the above link for email, or remove the automatic subject line heading "ANTH" if you do).
Online media assignments are graded on a pass (1)/fail (0) basis.
See the Grades webpage for results.
The online media assignments:
Each week, excepting exam weeks (see the course schedule) you will be reponsible for completing and submitting by email a weekly online media activity. This may entail doing a reading or watching a video made available online, or performing some other kind of activity. Instructions will be posted weekly right here on the webpage by Monday and will be due (by email) on Friday at 5pm of each week. You should e-mail your completed assignment to firstname.lastname@example.org,
with the a subject heading of "ANTH#" (with "#" being the number of that week's online activity, as noted above).
Note: for regular correspondence, do not use
the above link to my email, or remove the automatic subject line heading, as activities with this subject line are automatically filtered into my email activities folder (and thus I will not see an email having to do with something else until the following week or later).
I will give you 3 chances to get the subject heading correct and to not include attachments in your online media emails to me.
For example, when you send the first online media assignment, you should use a subject heading in the email of "SOCI#", where "#" means the number of the specific assignment of the week. If you write something else (like, for instance,
"Online Media Questions 1" or "soc 4 hw"), or if you include your assignment as an attachment, you have not paid attention to the details of the assignment instructions (details which make it crucially easier for me to organize your responses and read what you have written).
You can do this three times without penalty, but a fourth and each further instance of not paying attention to the details will result in a 1-point reduction from your Online Media grade. For the vast majority of you who are doing it right, thank you for paying attention to the details!
- Regards, Prof Reymers