Back to main page
SOCI 101 (Shannon 102) - Morrisville
Professor Kurt Reymers
(OPTIONAL: This assignment is NOT mandatory. I will use the highest two Research Report scores for the Research portion of your final grade).
Global inequality is thought to be getting worse today, and in many ways the concentration of wealth is troubling. But in this assignment we will use data to examine over 200 years of history along three critical datapoints: income, life expectancy, and babies per woman. You may be surprised by what you find!
Print the following assignment and worksheet tables (choose the format that works best for you):
- SOCI 101 - Research Report 3 - Global Inequality (PDF format)
- SOCI 101 - Research Report 3 - Global Inequality (MS Word format)
Work on the printouts while you analyze the data/watch the video on your computer. When
you have completed the worksheets and writing assignments, bring them to class, drop them off at my office (205 Crawford Hall, Morrisville campus), or email them to me.
Due in class, in my office drop box, or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org in PDF format with LASTNAME-RR3 as the filename and Subject Line: RR3) before the end-of-day (midnight) on Wednesday, December 4, no exceptions. There will be NO late assignments accepted for this research report.
RESEARCH REPORT 02:
As you saw in research report 1, the U.S. Census produces data on many aspects of American life, including employment and crime. This assignment asks you to do some more detailed data mining of the U.S. Census "Statistical Abstracts of the U.S., 2012", a compilation of statistics that tells us about trends in various activities and behaviors of people in the United States. Also useful in studying formal American negative deviance (crime) is the "Bureau of Justice Statistics." Following the instructions provided in the links below, you will complete the data mining, fill in the tables for each part and then, in three separate writing reflections discuss how the data fits the hypotheses which you are testing.
Print and read these assignment instructions CAREFULLY:
SOCI 101 - Research Assignment 2 - U.S. Crime and Deterrence
and download ONE of the following reporting sheets:
Research Report Sheet MS Word - Research Report Sheet (Microsoft Word fillable form)
- or use -
Research Report Sheet PDF - Research Report Sheet (PDF fillable form)
You need only turn in one of the Research Report Sheet formats.
Due on or before Monday, October 28, in class.
RESEARCH REPORT 01:
The U.S. Census is a sociological project identifying the demographic characteristics (population, age, ethnicity, income, education, government, business, etc.) for people across the United States. Information can be analyzed in many different ways, including by local address.
Use this website from the U.S. Census to enter your town's zip code and from the resulting page, choose the buttons on the left to get a summary of the characteristics of your home area. Also the tables for your "geography" (zip code location) feature more detailed information. Create a summary report from the information you have found there. Use the sociological imagination to reflect on how the conditions of your hometown relates to your life. In your essay, INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING TERMS IN BOLD and provide descriptions of how they fit your area and your life:
- the most important social institution in your area;
- the status set that you held in a particular institution;
- a role you have played in your home area;
- an ascribed status that represents you and an achieved status you have earned there;
- an example of role conflict or role strain that you experienced while living there.
Discuss these terms in relation to what you learn from the census information you are studying. Use the additional tables that are linked under each descriptive area for more detail. Here is a brief example of what a "C" report might vaguely resemble (go further than the example if you want to achieve maximum points). The report should be around 500 words and have a heading with your name, date and class/professor's name.
Due in class Monday, Sept 23.
Also send a copy of your summary in PDF FORMAT to: email@example.com. Use the SUBJECT LINE: RR1
GRADING RUBRIC: The rubric is what I use to grade everyone's reports to reduce subjectivity in the grading process. It is based on the assignment instructions and the degree to which you communicate your knowledge of the topics effectively.
You can earn a maximum of 20 points for this assignment.
- 4 points: Social Institution -- was this described effectively as an abstract representation of social organization?
- 4 points: Status Set -- did you describe your positions within the social groups you belong to?
- 4 points: Role Behavior -- did you use active verbs to describe the behavior of the roles you play?
- 4 points: Ascribed and Achieved Status -- did you provide meaningful and correct examples of these social traits?
- 4 points: Role Conflict and/or Strain -- did you provide meaningful and correct examples of these social problems?
- Grammar: 1 point reduction for problematic grammar.
- Bold: 1 point reduction if you did not follow instructions and put key terms in bold.
- PDF Format: 1 point reduction if sent in any other format than PDF.