ANTH 101 - Morrisville State College
Professor Kurt Reymers
To gain extra points on your reserach assignment grade, you can revise your paper. Your revision MUST:
- include changes to the paper based on the weak areas identifiedin the rubric;
- be accompanied by the original graded paper (I will NOT grade a revision without the original, graded paper to compare it to);
- for those who did not turn in an original paper by the late due date, turning in one by the revision deadline will earn you up to HALF-CREDIT for the writing assignment portion of the final grade.
- REVISIONS ARE DUE BY MONDAY, May 6 at NOON.
4 points - Step 1: summary of chapter reading (desriptive? covers main theme?)
4 points - Step 2: research source quality (scholarly? from library?)
4 points - Step 3: research source description and compare/contrast (descriptive? comparison evident?)
4 points - Step 4: in-text and reference page citations correct?
4 points - Step 5: guidelines followed? grammar edited?
20 points possible
Instructions: Cultural Anthropology Research PaperBe sure to follow the instructions carefully!
Due in class on Tuesday, April 9.
Assignment Summary (be sure to use the complete instructions to complete the assignment):
RESEARCH SOURCE: Conformity and Conflict 14e; choose ONLY ONE of the following chapters to report on:
the Kalahari San,
Then, do independent research on the same culture. See the assignment instructions for full details. Here are some ideas about how to start your library search:
You should use the college library website – http://library.morrisville.edu – to further research the culture that you have chosen to read about in the provided Conformity and Conflict online book. Here are some strategies for using the library site:
1. Search for terms related to the culture in the main box (OneSearch) that comes up when you go the page above. For example, if you choose Chapter 4, “Nice Girls Don’t Talk to Rastas,” an article about Jamaican and Rastafarian culture, you could type the following in order to narrow down anthropological articles and books about those topics into the search box: rastafarian jamaica anthropology. You may need to narrow down further depending on the number of sources you get. See what comes up and choose articles that are from anthropological sources and related to your original Conformity and Conflict article.
2. Get a more refined search by clicking "Advanced Search” below and to the left of the main search box at the library website. Select the checkbox below for the discipline “Anthropology” and try several terms that relate to the culture and issue that the Conformity and Conflict article is about.
3. You can also search for articles and books in the library about the culture in question. From the main library webpage, click the “Databases” link and then select a database – I recommend “Academic Search Complete” for a comprehensive search. For books and media, click the “Library Catalog” link and see what resources the library has right on campus for you to use.