Review Notes – Sociology 101 – SUNY Morrisville – Exam 2
Major Ideas and Concepts to Review for Exam 2:
Chapter 4 - Social Construction
- How is food production related to social development?
- What types of food production have developed?
- What types of societies have developed in relation to food production?
- How have the three different classical sociologists explain different types of societies?
... Durkheim: Structural-Functionalism ideas and concepts
... Marx: Social Conflict ideas and concepts
... Weber: Symbolic Interaction ideas and concepts
- What is Social Status? (what are: status set, ascribed status, achieved status?)
- What is a Social Role? (what are: role set, role conflict, role strain, role exit, role synchonicity?)
- What does the Social Construction of Reality mean?
- What is the Thomas Theorem?
- What is Ethnomethodology?
- Online Media: Social Interaction and Performance - What is the main idea of Goffman's "presentation of self" perspective on social construction?
Chapter 5 - Socialization
- What is the definition of socialization?
- What is the definition of personality?
- What is the definition of identity?
- What is the nature vs. nurture debate?
- Who is Phineas Gage and what does his case demonstrate?
- What are "mirror neurons"?
- What effect does social isolation have on people and some animals? Give an example.
- Who and what are our agents of socialization?
- What are the contributions of Sigmund Freud to understanding personality?
- What are the contributions of George Mead to understanding personality?
- Online Media: Ego as a Social Construction - What is the differnece between personal identity and social role?
Chapter 6 - Social Groups and Conformity
- What does the phrase "six degrees of separation" mean?
- What are in-groups, out-groups and reference groups?
- What is the Asch Conformity Experiment about?
- How likely is it that people will conform in small groups?
- What two types of conformity characterize the reasons why we go along with the group?
- What is the Milgram Obedience Experiment about?
- What factor does authority play in creating group conformity?
- Online Media: Six Degrees of Separation - In what way is modern society like a complex network? How tightly woven is the social web?
Chapter 7 - Deviance
- How is deviance defined?
- What is "positive deviance"?
- What types of social sanctions exist in reaction to deviance?
- What are the social functions of deviance according to Durkheim?
- What are the categories of deviance according to Merton's strain theory?
- What does it mean to say that deviance is defined by power (Marx; rule-makers vs. rule-breakers)?
- What is 'Labeling Theory'? (Lemert; primary vs. secondary deviance; stigma)
- What four parts make up the structure of the U.S. criminal justice system?
- What different reasons for criminal sanctions can be given?
- Why is the U.S. the nation with the highest incarceration rate in the world?
- Online Media: Deviance and Social Control - What are the major theories of social deviance held by sociologists?