Review Notes – Sociology 101 LN1 – Morrisville State College – Exam 2
Major Ideas and Concepts to Review for Exam 2:
D. Social Construction (text Chapter 4 and class notes)
Chapter 5 - Socialization
- What is the definition of socialization?
- What is the definition of personality?
- What is the definition of identity?
- What is the nature vs. nurture debate?
- Who is Phineas Gage and what does his case demonstrate?
- What are "mirror neurons"?
- What effect does social isolation have on people and some animals? Give an example.
- Who and what are our agents of socialization?
- What are the contributions of George Mead to understanding personality?
- Online Media: What are the basic premises of each of the three sociological theories? (see Chp 4.2)
Chapter 6 - Social Groups and Conformity
- What does the phrase "six degrees of separation" mean?
- What are in-groups and out-groups?
- What is a reference group?
- What is the Six Degrees of Separation idea, and how is it connectted to social networks?
- What is a sociogram?
- What is Metcalfe's Law?
- What is the Asch Conformity Experiment about?
- How likely is it that people will conform in small groups?
- What two types of conformity characterize the reasons why we go along with the group?
- What is the Milgram Obedience Experiment about?
- What factor does authority play in creating group conformity?
- Online Media: Six Degrees of Separation - In what way is modern society like a complex network? How tightly woven is the social web?