The Online Media homework assignment is a reading or video on Blackboard which includes a number of questions you need to respond to regarding the media.
On Blackboard, click the "Online Media" links each week some time after they become available (by Monday 12am), then click the "Write Submission" button to type your answers to the questions.
The online assignment is due by the end of the day FRIDAY of the week it is assigned.
IF YOU CURRENTLY DON"T HAVE ACCESS TO BLACKBOARD...
Follow the directions below for the assignment, but be sure to get access to your Blackboard account as soon as possible, more assignments will appear there weekly.
Watch Macat's "Introduction to Cultural Anthropology" video, then answer the questions below.
1. What is the definition of anthropology according to the video?
2. When and why did early anthropologists study customs and beliefs in pre-industrial societies?
3. What is the main argument of Marcel Mauss's book "The Gift"?
4. What explanation makes sense of pre-industrial people's belief in witchcraft (according to E.Evans-Pritchard?)
5. What is an example of feminist anthropology?
6. What was the thesis and result of Clifford Geertz's "Interpretation of Cultures"?
7. What is the value of historical ethnography?
IMPORTANT: E-mail your answers (not an attachment)
TO: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the SUBJECT: ANTH1
Due Friday, Jan 27 end of day